A seven-hour standoff

A seven-hour standoff between the Fairfield Police Department SWAT Team and an armed man who allegedly threatened his family members before barricading himself inside a local house Tuesday afternoon ended with the man's arrest, officials confirmed. Gordon Johnson, 26, of Fairfield, was taken into custody after SWAT officers forced their way inside the home, located in the 1100 block of Cormorant Court, around 8:30 p.m., according to Fairfield police Capt. Joe Allio.

The standoff began around 1:30 p.m. after Fairfield police received a 911 call regarding a family disturbance inside the home, according to a press release. The callers told police that a family member was damaging property and threatening them with a gun. Once they arrived, officers were able to get the residents safely out of the house.

A portion of Cormorant Drive, from Cormorant Place to East Tabor Avenue, was closed to traffic as members of the Crisis Negotiation Team and the Fairfield SWAT Team moved into place behind an armored vehicle outside the home located near the end of the court.

Negotiators tried unsuccessfully to make contact with Johnson, who has been staying in the home and believes may have some mental health issues, Allio said.

For hours, negotiator's efforts to call into the home continued to be met with silence.

Yellow crime scene tape was used to cordon off the area surrounding the entrance to the court around 3:30 p.m.

As the afternoon wore on, snipers were moved into position on neighboring roofs and still, no answer came from Johnson inside the home.

A command post was set up at a nearby church on East Tabor Avenue.

A series of flashbangs were deployed shortly after 6 p.m., followed by several rounds of teargas, Allio stated. By the conclusion of the standoff around 8:30, nearly a dozen forms of diversionary explosives and gas had been deployed into the residence. Still, Johnson refused to respond to police or comply to their commands to come out of the home.

Officers finally ended the standoff by forcing their way into the smokey home, where Johnson was taken into custody.

Johnson was treated for exposure to teargas but, other than that, uninjured, Allio said.

He was booked into Solano County Jail on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, and being a felon in possession of a firearm, following several out of state convictions in South Carolina, Allio said.

"Our goal in every one of these is for it to end without injury, and this one did," Allio said.

He noted that officers plan on conducting a thorough search of the home today, once the gas has dissipated.

Follow Staff Writer Catherine Bowen Mijs at Twitter.com/cmijs.

Join Our E-Mail List

Subscribe to our newsletter to receive important updates and the latest news from The Fairfield Police Officers' Association.

Donate Today!


Contact Info

Fairfield Police Officers' Association
PO Box 2725
Fairfield, CA 94533-0272
Email: Contact Us

Account Registration

logo100Subscribe to the Fairfield POA E-Mail list and receive all the latest news, updates and event information.
logo100Subscribe to the Fairfield POA E-Mail list and receive all the latest news, updates and event information.